What do Electronic Health Records mean for you?
Better health care. Faster diagnosis. Lower costs for you. Accurate information for your doctors. A reduction in unnecessary, expensive and duplicative tests and procedures. These are just a few of the benefits of electronic health records for you. In Ohio, the Ohio Health Information Partnership and its partners are working hard to make sure that we create a technological infrastructure so doctors, nurses, hospitals and all healthcare entities involved in patient care have timely, electronic information that's both safe and secure.
How many times have you had to fill out paperwork at a doctor's office or hospital listing all of your medications, your medical history, your present conditions, other physicians who have treated you, and so on?
Wouldn't it be nice if your physician already had that updated information and just verified new medications or the most recent health conditions with you? Just imagine you're an elderly person who has three different specialists caring for you, as well as your internist. How can they update one another on your health condition? After you give permission to share your medical information, here's what electronic health records provide you:
- Accurate and complete information about your health. You physician and other healthcare professionals can give you the best possible care, whether during a routine visit or a medical emergency.
- The ability to better coordinate the care they give to you and your family. This is especially important if you or a loved one has a serious medical condition.
- A way to securely share information with you electronically. This means you can more fully take part in decisions about your health and the health of your family.
- Information to help diagnose your health problems sooner, reduce medical errors, and provide safer care at lower costs.
The use of electronic health records can also:
- Expand your access to affordable care
- Make Ohio's health care system more efficient
- Build a healthier future for our nation
Health IT for You: Giving You Access to Your Medical Records When and Where They're Needed
One health record to go please: How electronic health records are improving patient care
Hear directly from a physician the benefits for patients of electronic health records in this video.